One of the dishes that all Punjabi families drool over is Dal Makhani. It is rich, delicious and easy to cook. Every time I have a family dinner planned Dal Makhani is the patent dish that is served with loads of cream and coriander.
Recipe (serves 4)
3/4 cup urad
1tbsp Gram dal
1 tbsp rajma
1 onion chopped
1″ piece of ginger chopped
4 green chillies sliced
1 tomato chopped or purred
1/3 cup fresh cream
1/3 cup curd
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp ghee or refined oil
Salt to taste
1. Soak the dal and rajma overnight
2. In a pressure cooker add urad dal, gram dal, rajma and 2 cups of water and
3. Mash very well with a big spoon and boil again for 20 minutes.
4. Add the curds and cream to the cooked dal.
5. In another pan, heat the ghee, add cumin seeds and let them cook or a few seconds
6. Then add onions, chillies and ginger
7. As soon as the onions turn light brown, add tomato, turmeric powder, salt and chilli powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
8. Once the tomatoes are cooked add dal and cook for a few minutes
9. Garnish with cream and lots of coriander
10. Serve with parathas or naan